Clayton REDI Infrastructure Improvements
WHAT WAS THE CHALLENGE?
The Village of Clayton sustained significant damages to public infrastructure due to unprecedented high water events in 2017 and 2019 as well as high wind and wave action during a major storm event that occurred on October 31, 2019.
HOW DID BARTON & LOGUIDICE PROVIDE A SOLUTION?
B&L assisted the Village in securing grant funding under the Lake Ontario Resiliency and Economic Development Initiative (REDI) program to complete structural repairs and improvements at four locations along their waterfront. Design solutions included:
- Reconstruct low-lying sections of the Riverwalk to address flooding and replace aging infrastructure
Mary Street Dock and Boat Launch
- Rebuild the 520-foot main dock on the same footprint with new steel piles and framing including a new concrete deck, lighting, benches, and other accents
- Replace the boat launch dock with a fixed-floating dock system and reconstruct deteriorated concrete at the boat ramp
Village Dock at Veterans Memorial Monument
- Install 195-linear foot wave attenuator to protect the Village docks and Riverwalk
Thousand Islands Regional Dock at Frink Park
- Seal gaps at the toe (midline) of the sheet pile supported Thousand Island Regional Dock
WHY WAS THE PROJECT A SUCCESS?
Completing the work will improve the resiliency of Village infrastructure and reduce flood potential and damage during periods of high water. The significant extent of capital works improvements along the Village of Clayton waterfront was made feasible by leveraging REDI funds which required a 5% local match. To further improve resiliency and fully realize the capital potential of the project, B&L is working with the Village to allocate remaining funds for additional wave attenuator modules to further protect the shoreline. Completion of additional work is anticipated in 2024.
Project At a Glance
- Climate Action
- Community Planning
- Landscape Architecture
- Site & Civil Engineering
- APWA Central New York
At Barton & Loguidice we’re passionate about our clients, our work, and making a positive impact on the world around us. Learn more about our mission and culture.Firm Overview